Sacramento Area League of Associated Muslims (SALAM) is seeking an energetic and charismatic Associate Imam. This managerial role will support SALAM’s vision, expand program offerings and provide services to its diverse multi-ethnic, multi-lingual, and multi-generational community in Sacramento, California.
The Associate Imam is a key member of the programmatic team at SALAM Center. The Associate Imam reports to the RESSD and is responsible for managing youth programs, community events and supporting the RESSD in providing classes, lectures and leading prayer.
Duties of the Associate Imam
- Conduct daily prayers and backup the RESSD in conducting Friday prayers.
- Assist the RESSD in implementing religious programs and activities including Ramadan and Eids.
- Design and lead programs for young Muslims; motivate and empower young Muslims to learn and volunteer.
- Help the community develop an American Muslim identity.
- Assume the role of the Imam during Weekend School hours.
- Organize and conduct regular Quran halaqas and classes for various age groups throughout the year.
- Plan and lead community gatherings, events, and initiatives.
- Provide youth and family counseling as needed.
- Conduct Janazah (funerals), officiate marriages and lead other life critical ceremonies as needed for community members.
- Recruit, manage and motivate a diverse core of volunteers to work in various committees and projects.
- Regularly report to the RESSD
- Bachelor’s degree in Islamic studies, Quranic studies, or related fields.
- Fluency in English is a must. Fluency in Arabic is strongly recommended.
- Follow the school of thought of Ahlul Sunnah Wal Jama’aa.
- Ability to recite the Quran in Arabic.
- At least two years of experience managing youth programs.
- The Associate Imam shall be well versed in Islam.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Authorized to work in the US.
- Master’s degree in one of the fields mentioned above.
- Experience in being a Full-time Imam.
- Experience managing volunteers.
- Experience in youth or family counseling.
Salary and Benefits
The compensation package is very competitive and depends on qualifications and experience.
Standard SALAM employee benefits.
How To Apply
Please email a complete application package to the Chair of the HR Committee – HR@salamcenter.org.
Application Package should include:
- Letter of interest
- Three references
- Copies of certificates and transcripts
- Recent photo