Sacramento Area League of Associated Muslims (SALAM) is seeking an energetic and inspiring Religious and Social Director (Imam) to lead SALAM’s new vision of expanded religious programs and services and to meet the spiritual needs of its diverse multi-ethnic community in Sacramento, California.
The Religious and Social Director (RSD) is the Senior Imam of SALAM Islamic Center. The (RSD) reports to the Executive Director and is responsible for managing SALAM’s religious and social activities to consistently achieve its purpose and mission. Such management is conducted in accordance with SALAM’s Articles of Incorporation and By-Laws; both are based on the teachings of the Islamic faith.
Duties of the Imam
Religious and Social Services Management
- Give spiritual guidance to the SALAM community.
- Lead daily prayers and give Khaterahs (small talks).
- Deliver Fridays and Eid Khutab and prepare a special inspiring and uplifting program for Ramadan.
- Manage SALAM’s religious and social employees, including the Associate Imam at SALAM Center and outreach centers Imams.
- Develop and manage signature programs such as the Friday Family Night program and adult Islamic and Qur’anic classes.
- Conduct fundraising activities as outlined by SALAM Board of Trustees and By-laws. Establish leadership and creativity in fundraising.
- Initiate and lead religious and social programs and lead standing and functional committees to achieve strategic and operational goals.
- Conduct Janazah (funerals) and officiate marriages for community members. Provide religious counseling as needed.
- Maintain a climate that attracts and motivates a diverse core of volunteers to work in various committees and projects.
- Report regularly to the Executive Director and the Board of Trustees.
- Establish community building and social programs to build the American Muslim identity and promote the concept of belonging.
- Provide leadership in developing Islamic education curricula and advise the Associate Imam in conducting youth programs and activities.
- Develop budgets to plan religious programs and communicate effectively and efficiently with those involved.
- Be a team player and back up the Executive Director, as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree (4 years) in Islamic Studies from a renowned University.
- Three years of performing the duties of a Senior Imam in an established Islamic Center.
- Good Command in the Qur’anic Recitation, following Tajweed rules.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to speak in public and with the Media in the English language.
- Experience in fundraising
- An amiable attitude in interaction with people of all faiths and must have a good grasp of Islamic values and be able to demonstrate conformity to such values with full confidence.
- Three years of experience in managing employees and volunteers.
- The candidate must be a US citizen or Permanent Resident.
- Master’s degree in Islamic Studies or related fields. Degrees or diplomas in religious studies and Qur’anic Tajweed.
- Fluency in Arabic. Knowledge of other languages such as Urdu and Farsi.
Salary and Housing Benefits
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience and education.
The Religious and Social Director is provided a three-bedroom accommodation onsite at SALAM Islamic Center.